Recovering compensation for personal injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident can be an uphill battle. Not only can the process be time-consuming, but it can also be frustrating and draining; the defendant or the insurer will try to attack your case, your story, and maybe even your character.
5 Things You Need to do to Make Your Personal Injury Case Stronger
There are several things you can do as the plaintiff to make your personal injury case stronger and more difficult for the defendant to poke holes in.
1) Keep a copy of the police report. When you've been in an accident, you should always file a police report. Filing a report is even more crucial if you sustained injuries because it's a written record that documents the entire accident including all the injuries. The report may also prove liability and can give your lawyer more bargaining power.
2) Get a copy of medical records. Injuries are what these cases are built on, so it's important to obtain any and all documents regarding the ones you received from the accident. Your lawyer will then use these records to justify healthcare expenses.
3) Gather witnesses: Was there someone on the street or in another vehicle that saw the accident take place? If so, talk to them and write down their contact information so your lawyer can contact them later. Make sure to get their full name, address, and phone number. Their testimonies can potentially strengthen your claim as they can back up your version of the events that occurred.
4) Gather evidence from the scene of the accident: After the accident occurs, take as many pictures of you can of the scene, the vehicles involved, the resulting property damage and anything else you think may be useful. If there is any accident debris on the road, keep that too.
5) Follow up with your doctor: This action is important because scheduling a follow-up appointment with your doctor will help you track the progress of your injury and how long you are ultimately affected by it. If your injury prevents you from returning to work for weeks or even months, these follow-up appointments will help you obtain more compensation.
It's key that you do everything you can to make your personal injury claim as strong as it can be. Keep records of everything, and seek medical attention even if you feel fine. In the meantime, Rhino Legal Finance can assist with your financial situation by supplying personal injury financing before your case closes.